Rodney L. Donohoo
Mr. Donohoo’s litigation and trial practice has included complex civil litigation, partnership and shareholder disputes, contract disputes, commercial litigation, intellectual property litigation, construction litigation, insurance litigation, accounting litigation, labor and employment litigation, real property and homeowners’ association litigation. Mr. Donohoo has represented clients through arbitration and trial throughout California and beyond, including serving as pro hac vice counsel in litigation in Nevada and Iowa. Mr. Donohoo has obtained numerous multi-million-dollar settlements, verdicts and judgments for his clients. Conversely, he has successfully defended clients facing large claims. Mr. Donohoo has served as appellate counsel for matters pending before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and California District Courts of Appeal.
Mr. Donohoo has also represented clients on professional license matters in administrative law hearings. Further, having a law enforcement background, Mr. Donohoo has represented federal and local law enforcement officers in internal affairs hearings with various agencies.
In addition to litigation matters, Mr. Donohoo has extensive experience providing transactional and corporate governance services to clients engaged in a wide range of professions, businesses and industries. Such services have included business formation, advising on director and shareholder matters, preparing buy-sell and shareholder agreements, preparation of sales and vendor contracts, and preparing independent contractor and employment agreements. Mr. Donohoo has also represented clients in the acquisition and sale of their businesses, including preparation of asset and stock purchase agreements.
Mr. Donohoo previously served as outside general counsel for over 15 years to an international insured shipping and security company in the jewelry industry, from the date of its formation through its sale to a Fortune 50 company. In that capacity, he handled all matters of corporate governance, insurance claims and the supervision of outside litigation counsel throughout the United States.
As both agent and legal counsel, Mr. Donohoo has previously represented professional mixed martial athletes, including UFC Hall of Fame Champion Ken Shamrock as well other as UFC fighters. Mr. Donohoo also previously represented numerous fight promotions.
Mr. Donohoo attended California Western School of Law on a full merit scholarship, where he received his Juris Doctor in 1989, with magna cum laude honors. While attending law school, Mr. Donohoo served as Managing Editor of CWSL Law Review and International Journal and was a judicial extern to Presiding Justice Daniel Kramer of the Fourth District Court of Appeal, Division 01. Attending on an Alaska Peace Officers Association Scholarship, Mr. Donohoo received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Justice in 1986 from the University of Alaska Anchorage, graduating with cum laude honors. Mr. Donohoo previously served as a police officer in Alaska, where he also served in the capacity of fire, emergency medical services and search as rescue.
Mr. Donohoo previously practiced at a leading San Diego antitrust and complex business litigation law firm, where he practiced extensively as litigation counsel in accounting malpractice and banking litigation matters for the federal government office of the Resolution Trust Corporation. Thereafter, Mr. Donohoo served as the Managing Partner of the San Diego office of an Orange County based insurance defense law firm, expanding their practice into the area of business litigation and transactional work. In 2000, Mr. Donohoo went on to form The Law Offices of Rodney L. Donohoo, APC to offer transactional and litigation services to businesses throughout Southern California.
Outside of his legal practice, Mr. Donohoo currently enjoys serving his community in the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary, serving in surface operations and as Chief of Staff for the Southern District Area. Mr. Donohoo also continues to enjoy mixed martial arts, serving as a licensed official with the California Amateur Mixed Martial Arts Organization. Mr. Donohoo actively trains in the sport of jiu jitsu.
California Western School of Law, San Diego, California, Magna Cum Laude
- J.D. 1989
- Full Merit Scholarship Recipient
- Managing Editor, CWSL Law Review and International Law Journal
University of Alaska, Anchorage
- Bachelor of Arts, Justice, Cum Laude
- Alaska Peace Officer Scholarship Recipient
- California State Bar – 1989
- United States Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court, Southern District of California
- United States District Court, Central District of California
- United States District Court, Northern District of California
CURRENT AND PAST COMMUNITY PARTICIPATION
- Boys and Girls Club of National City – former General Counsel
- United States Coast Guard Auxiliary – District Chief of Staff
- Fraternal Order of Police Panel Counsel
- Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels
- Former Police Officer, Alaska
- Friendly Sons of St. Patrick Member
HONORS, CURRENT AND PAST MEMBERSHIPS, AND PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- “Super Lawyers Honoree – Business Litigation 2023″
- “AV Preeminent” Rating in Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory.
- Client rated “Preeminent 5.0 of 5.0” by Martindale Hubbell
- “Excellent” Rating by Avvo
- “Million Dollar Advocates Forum” and “Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum”, Member
- “Top Lawyer” list in San Diego Magazine
- America’s Most Honored Lawyers – Awarded to Top 1% of American lawyers by American Registry.
- Lawyers of Distinction Recipient
- Featured in Chicago Lawyer for mixed martial arts representation
- Quoted in Los Angeles Daily Transcript, Judicial Profile
- Member, Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- American Inns of Court Louis M. Welch Chapter
- Judge Pro Tempore – San Diego Superior Court for approximately 10 years
- Licensed Athlete Agent, State of California
- Expert Witness – Designated in matters pending before San Diego Superior Court.